What is the best way to care for and clean my binoculars?
When handled with care, your binoculars will provide years of trouble free service. Like any precision instrument your binocular should be given reasonable protection.
1. If binoculars feature rubber "fold-down" eyecups, store them with the eyecups up. This avoids excessive stress and wear placed on the rubber eyecups in the down position. Twist-up and pop-up eyecups can be stored in either position.
2. Avoid banging and dropping.
3. Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing in your vehicle as temperature fluctuations and prolonged vibration can damage any optical instrument.
4. Never look directly at the sun with your binocular. It may be very harmful to your eyes.
5. Keep your lenses clean with the following instructions.
Blow away any dust or debris on the lens (or use a soft lens brush).
Remove dirt or fingerprints with a soft cotton cloth by rubbing in a circular motion.
Coarse cloth or unnecessary rubbing may scratch the lens surface causing permanent damage.
6. For a more thorough cleaning, you may use photographic quality lens tissue and cleaner. Always apply the fluid to the paper or the cloth, not directly on the lens. The new microfiber cleaning cloths and "lens pens" are also highly recommended. They do not require cleaning fluid.